What is the purpose of development aid?
- Important progress has been made in terms of reducing poverty. According to the World Bank between 1990 and 2015 the proportion of people living on less than USD 1.25 a day went from 43% to 21%.
- Several of the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) have been achieved: 90% of children in developing regions now attend primary school. Remarkable progress has also been made in the fight against malaria and tuberculosis, and the likelihood of a child dying before the age of five has been cut by almost half.
Why is development cooperation necessary when humanitarian needs are so high?
- Humanitarian aid and development cooperation are not mutually exclusive but complementary.
- In order to contribute to the resolution of complex crises in a meaningful and sustainable way it is necessary to combine different external policy instruments. These instruments are complementary and include peace promotion and traditional diplomacy in addition to humanitarian aid and development cooperation.
How does international cooperation contribute to reducing migration?
- The Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC) rehabilitated around sixty schools in northern Lebanon and Jordan to help them accommodate children fleeing the war in Syria with their parents. This should ensure that these young people do not become a lost generation. The SDC's efforts in helping Lebanese and Syrian children to grow up together prevent tensions between the local population and the refugees.
- With the support of the State Secretariat for Economic Affairs' Start-up Fund a Swiss entrepreneur of Bosnian origin was able to open a sewing workshop in his home town. The business specialises in high quality textiles and employs 180 people, particularly women, in a region where the unemployment rate is 43%.
- The Human Security Division has for several years been helping with the integration of Somali refugees in Kenya. In practice this means that the FDFA helps them prepare and submit requests for naturalisation and gain access to work permits.